Sunday, October 19, 2008

Homeschooling Check-In

We are doing great.
We are using Weaver from Alpha Omega, which is a Christian Unit Study Method. I add and subtract from that for History, Science, Bible, and Social Studies and Language Arts.
We do Saxon Math, both boys are in Saxon 1 at different places, and we are doing MUS together.. we started 2 weeks ago.
For Phonics we have taken a break from Teach your Child to read as it was to the point the kids could sound out words, but they weren't remembering the word to be able to just read words in the sentance form. So I added in Flashcards with Dolche words, putting 5 stars on each one before it is "done". Meaning they have to say it 5 times without help before it is considered learned. This has helped a lot with sounds like ING and ow, and simple sight words like The. Then they each read a Bob Book, I have the set of 5, so we are working through those. They enjoy them and do not get nearly as frustrated, though they are using the same words.. there is only one sentence per page, instead of a paragraph or so.
Josiah has started a handwriting book, Italic C and he loves it, so he does a page a day usually.

On our off days, when I have a migraine etc the boys have Rod and Staff workbooks, that are for fun, and They have Word Building paces from ACE. I also have them use these if I am working with the other one reading, and there is no project or art scheduled for the day.

All in all I wish they were a little further along reading wise, but boys will only go so fast. Josiah is above the reading level of my neighbor boy who is a held back 1st grader, so I figure as long as they don't get too frustrated I am pushing just hard enough. It is a bit of an issue for me sometimes mentally as I learned to read when I was 4, and did high 1st grade reading in K, but I just have to keep reminding myself that they are not me, and have their own 'gifts'.

No comments: