Monday, April 7, 2008

Notes on Race

I think Pat hit the nail on the head using "white America" "White community" etc. He said it that way in response to Wright calling it that, as well as Black church, Black community etc. Those that were NOT offended by Wright saying it, suddenly are by Pat saying it.. HUMMM. Proves my point. There is a big difference in our society today when a black man can say something and it is fine, and even applauded where the white man says the same jargon and it is put down and ridiculed. Interesting.

I am not sure I should comment on the CONTENT of his speech as no one else really did, they were so "offended" by the language. Interesting that you were not offended when it came from Wright, and that is one of Robertsons points. He used that language to illustrate the difference in perceptions. And he was right on.

As for where is stats come from, that wasn't an issue for you with Obama or Wright.

He didn't say they should be grateful for slavery. He said they should be grateful to be part of such a great nation. And I agree every american should.

Pat I think does have correct stats about things so far in looking..
When taking his crime stats-
Just homicide rates there is more black on black homicides than white on white, and very little white on black.
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/race.htm (This is as of 2005)

"Although slightly less true now than before, most murders are intraracial

From 1976 to 2005 --

* 86% of white victims were killed by whites
* 94% of black victims were killed by blacks"

egardless of HOW we all got here we are HERE, and it is a great nation. And I dare say the best. WAS written. He is talking about the nation today and moving forward.

Talk to the Japanese (internment camps), Native Americans (reservations), Irish (NY rioting etc), Jewish.. on and on. This country isn't claiming an innocent past, but he is saying it should and could have a bright future, if we all stop the blame game. And that TODAY Blacks should be proud to live in America. If one doesn't think this is the best country for them, move. I do think it is the best country.. there are things I want to change but it is the best none the less.

Never once did I say he comments "white America" etc were ok;. I simply said it illustrated the point I had been trying to make day after day since this first came out. But again I come up against a blacks can't be racist mentality.

You DO have a valid arguement about the location. But it isn't just in his church now. And the issue was never really (for me) about Wright. It was what was Obama doing in that church in the first place, and why did he support Wright, and visa versa.

Obama inspires you? I assume. Obama inspires SOME people. I never said that people supporting Obama was doing so blindly though at times I will conceed it sometimes looks like that. I am sure it might look like that from the otherside looking at Bush supporters. But it is not always the case.

1- Should Whites be slaves for awhile?
2- No speaker I know does footnotes. I provided a verifiable non-biased link.

I do think you have come up with a very good point and I agree... I do think it is most possibly an issue of poverty. It is tragic that violence is seen as a race issue at all. I do think that income plays a huge part in it, and by default location, and thus by default race (which really has no bearing on it at all-- as a cause). It is situational.

It is not an if/then issue. I disagree with your first paragraph. The simple issue of poor families begetting poor, and hard to get out of that social situation. Doesn't mean there is racism at all. Not that there isn't just that it isn't a end all and be all.

How do you suggest white people "solve" it? I do agree racism is wrong, but beyond that what should we do?

Last paragraphs - I agree to the first question. But disagree that whites are not disenfranchised do to income as well. Just beacause 1/2 of the teachers/scientists or doctors are not a minority doesn't mean it isn't fair. It should accurately represent society at large. If this is correct
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_b...ive_in_america
It is 13 %. Now how many blacks are in these jobs?? If it is close %age wise then it shoots your racist theory out of the water totally.

Here is what I found
Jobs

26%
The percentage of single-race blacks 16 and older who work in management, professional and related occupations. There are 44,900 black physicians and surgeons, 80,000 postsecondary teachers, 48,300 lawyers, and 52,400 chief executives.

Here.
http://www.infoplease.com/spot/bhmcensus1.html

Now how many physicians are there total?

Anesthesiologists 23,790
Family and General Practitioners 111,990
Internists, General 50,140
Obstetricians and Gynecologists 19,180
Pediatricians, General 26,910
Psychiatrists 19,530
Surgeons 49,730

Total 301,270

from here http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=428554

Let's assume the numbers I posted are correct. And take the 301,270 as the number of physicians, even though the previous number might not include Anesthesiologists etc, let's assume it does...

Now for the math
Blacks account for about 13% of the US population
There are 301,270 physicians/surgeons in America of which 44,900 are Black (the largest minority group in the US).

If I did it correctly the amount is 14.90%
So in fact WHITES might actually have a right to a beef here . As there is a lower %age of whites as physicians/surgeons in America, in relationship to the %age of whites in society

Question really is why are there poor whites? WHy are there single parent white families? If the whites are so privilaged why do we have any hungry white kids? Maybe because there is something within the poor community themselves that also attributes to it, instead of just a race issue.

Here is an interesting report on a poll. I usually disagree with NPR but it looks pretty well done.
http://www.npr.org/programs/specials/poll/poverty/


Steph you are really good at accusing and baiting.
1- I am not sure there are reprercussions from slavery that are still affecting black people today. Or more specifically I am not sure that it SHOULD affect them. I could conceed that some blacks FEEL like it is a cause of their poverty. But I know that many feel that it was not a cause of their poverty at all. SO, though one views that it is a causal affect TODAY it might not actually be, and definately shouldn't.


2- The best whites can do to help is to not be racist. We should not have to self-abate ourselves to right the wrongs of the past. Hell I bet lots of us have irish ancestors but I don't see them decrying the wrongs done to them when they came over.

So now you are blaming the capitalistic society, Maybe we should see exactly how our "poverty" lines up with other countries.\- regarding housing space
http://www.heritage.org/Research/Wel...ad/54072_1.gif
from a larger study found here

http://www.heritage.org/Research/Welfare/bg1713.cfm

An article by Walter Williams http://www.voiceofthetimes.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1108&Itemid=2

No one group should bear the burden of poverty if all groups at taking just as much responsibilty for their own situations instead of blaming others for it. I do not think anyone regardless of race should be treated any differently, if that means certain races end up more privilaged than others I want it to be solely on their own merit, not because the other is holding them down because of their race. NOR do I want previous atrocities used as a crutch to keep people down.

No comments: